News

World Cup finalists France Croatia to share $66m in prize money from FIFA

Posted On July 16, 2018 at 8:20 am by / Comments Off on World Cup finalists France Croatia to share $66m in prize money from FIFA

FIFA will award the winners of the 2018 World Cup final between France and Croatia $38 million in prize money.

The runners-up in Sunday’s showpiece at Moscow’s Luzhniki stadium will receive $28m. Both amounts are a $3m increase on those awarded to the finalists of the 2014 tournament in Brazil, in which Germany beat Argentina.

Belgium will receive $24m for their victory on Saturday in the third-place playoff in St Petersburg, $2m more than fourth-placed England.

In total the pot of prize money for the 2018 finals in Russia has increased by almost $50m, up to $400m this year compared to $358m four years ago.

France are competing in their third World Cup final of the last 20 years, having won the trophy for the first time ever on home soil in 1998 and then losing the 2006 final in Germany to Italy in a penalty shootout.

Croatia, playing in their first ever major international final, were beaten in the 1998 semifinals by France.

“Of course it is not easy to analyse the game,” Silva told the ECHO. “Of course, we expected a different level, the level was really low but most important for me — and it’s what I told the players before the match — it is not important the level of our opponent.

“Next week we will have a tough week and the level of our opponents will grow but the most important thing today was to be serious every time.

“They enjoyed moments of the game but, or course, as the result was getting worse for our opponent the game got a little bit slower but it is normal in these type of situations.

“We can analyse some of today but also all week. The players worked hard, they showed me what they want and the desire to play in our team.”

Everton face Bury on Wednesday in their next preseason game.

 

Landslide covers road near Russian World Cup stadium in Volgograd

 

 

VOLGOGRAD, Russia — A large earth embankment separating the World Cup stadium in Volgograd from the Volga River gave way, sending tons of dirt sliding into a road Sunday, the day the final was played in Moscow.

Heavy rain contributed to the sudden collapse, with footage posted online showing torrents of water washing away the sandy earth in the embankment. There were no reports of injuries.

The 45,000-seat Volgograd Arena was one of 12 World Cup stadiums across Russia and hosted four games in the group stage, including England’s 2-1 win over Tunisia.

The city’s mayor had expressed pride in the embankment and the new road along the riverbank, saying it would form a key part of the World Cup legacy for the city by easing traffic jams.

Manchester City furious with Napoli over Jorginho deal with Chelsea – sources

Manchester City are unlikely to do business with Napoli again after they pulled out of an agreement for midfielder Jorginho, sources have told ESPN FC.

The Italy international was a top target for Pep Guardiola but has now joined Chelsea on a five-year deal worth around €60 million.

City believe that Jorginho, 26, preferred a switch to the Premier League champions despite claims from Napoli chairman Aurelio De Laurentiis that he would rather move to London.

As recently as Thursday, Jorginho told City that he preferred to join them, but sources told ESPN FC he was “bullied” into a move to Chelsea with the threat of being forced to see out the remaining two years of his contract with Napoli.

A £43m transfer fee was agreed between De Laurentiis and City last month, but Napoli reneged on that deal, leaving club hierarchy stunned.

Chelsea have since sacked manager Antonio Conte and appointed former Napoli boss Maurizio Sarri, with Jorginho becoming his first signing.

City refused to match Chelsea’s offer and walked away from the deal just as they refused to match demands they saw as excessive during the January transfer window, including deals for Arsenal’s Alexis Sanchez and Shakhtar Donetsk’s Fred — both of whom joined Manchester United.

Leicester City also wanted around £95 million for winger Riyad Mahrez in January, and City finally signed him last week in a deal for £60m.

Mahrez and Jorginho were City’s two top summer targets, and they now have less than a month to sign a replacement for Yaya Toure, who left on a free transfer at the end of the season.

Real Madrid’s Mateo Kovacic and Southampton’s Mario Lemina have been linked as potential alternatives.

Chelsea complete signing of Jorginho from Napoli on five-year deal

Chelsea have completed the signing of Jorginho, beating Manchester City to the signature of the former Napoli midfielder.

Jorginho, 26, joins manager Maurizio Sarri from Italy in a five-year deal worth around €60 million, becoming their first signing of a summer in which prolonged uncertainty around their coaching situation froze transfer activity at Stamford Bridge.

Pep Guardiola had identified Jorginho, who was born in Brazil, as his top target for the holding midfield role after Yaya Toure’s contract ran out, but Chelsea beat City to the punch after appointing Sarri.

“I am absolutely ecstatic to be here at Chelsea,” Jorginho said in a statement. “It is not easy to become part of such a big team so I am very, very happy. I am excited to play in such an intense league, for a team that gives everything to play and win.”